The starting salary for new teachers in Miami-Dade is $47,717. Corps members are independently hired by the Miami-Dade County Public School District (M-DCPS). They are responsible for obtaining certification and employment and are not paid by Teach For America. New teachers receive a 10 month salary, making their monthly Pre-Tax Salary $4100 a month for 10 months.
Monthly Take Home Pay: $4,100 (10 Month Salary)
For more info, please see the Miami-Dade County Public Schools’ salary info page.
All Miami-Dade County Public Schools employees have the opportunity to receive and enroll in comprehensive benefits plans. All corps members, upon hire by the Miami-Dade County Public School District, can enroll and receive access to comprehensive benefits. Basic coverage with co-pays for health care and prescriptions is provided by Miami-Dade Public Schools. Employees also receive access to dental coverage, disability benefits, and retirement benefits. Different plans are offered to suit various needs, and you will receive detailed information about these plans during your district orientation and your first days of school.
Average benefits of schools in Miami-Dade include:
- Health benefits
- Medical, dental, and vision care
- Referral-free access to doctors
- Routine preventative care
- Flexible spending accounts
- Family-planning services
- Vaccinations (e.g., flu shots)
- Life insurance
- Retirement benefits
Study Exam Materials & Exam Fees
- General Knowledge Test Study Guide: $35
- Subject Area Exam Study Guide: $50
- General Knowledge Test: $130 Subject Area
- Subject Area Exam: $150
- Possible Retake of General Knowledge Test or Subject Area Exam: 0-$350
- Transcripts (4 copies): 0-$75
- Book Travel to Miami Summer Training: ~$350
- Professional Dress/Clothing: $0-$200
- Housing Costs: $3,000 (First Month’s, Last Month’s Rent, & Security Deposit; the total cost for a two-bedroom apartment would be approximately $6000. This estimation assumes rent is shared with a roommate.)
- Supplemental Food: $300
- School District Fingerprints: $71
- Florida Dept of Ed Certification Fee: $75
- Moving Costs: $0-$300
- Furniture: $0-$500
- First Month Utilities: $175
- First Month Internet: $50
- Setting up your classroom: $50-$200
- Living Expenses Until First Paycheck* (groceries, gas etc.): $1,400
ESTIMATED TOTAL TRANSITIONAL COST: $7,550
In addition to testing and certification, one of the most important pieces of your transition is planning for the financial transition of joining the corps. While Teach For America is not able to provide financial advice, as we are not financial advisors, we have pulled together resources and alumni tips that will assist you in planning for your transition. We are currently partnered with Spring, a company of certified financial advisors, to assist with your financial planning at no cost to you.
We offer a need-based program to help you with some of your transition expenses. Packages are offered based on a corps member’s demonstrated need and the cost of transitioning to your assigned region.
Most corps members find that It is absolutely necessary to have a car in Miami-Dade. You should have a car by the start of the school year. However, the Miami-Dade Transportation and Public Works provides accessible Metrobus, Metrorail, Metromover and Paratransit services all throughout Miami-Dade. Learn more here.