Throughout our onboarding process, corps members learn about our landscape in Greater News Orleans; the contours of diversity, race, class, power, and privilege; the corps member experience and expectations; and specifics about the hiring and certification processes. By preparing to teach in, live in, and love Greater New Orleans, you will also begin to plug into our thriving regional culture.
Becoming Certified to Teach
The total estimated up-front credentialing costs range from $215 to $650, which includes all tests and licensing fees needed.
How is teaching certification structured in this state/region?
While enrolled in a certification program during the first year teaching, corps members will get a temporary Practitioner’s License. Upon completion of the first year and chosen certification program, corps members will achieve their Standard Level 1 Louisiana Certification.
The certification programs that we offer are described below. These programs have an optional master’s program for the second year.
TNTP Academy has trained high-performing teachers for over 12 years and has been the top-performing teacher certification provider for the past five years.
Relay GSE’s program is a unique, rigorous teacher training program designed specifically to respond to today’s urgent demand for effective teachers in low-income communities.
In order to complete the program successfully, candidates must fulfill the following requirements:
- Pass required exams
- Submit all required paperwork and documentation in a timely manner
- Successfully complete the summer training institute and related commitments
- Attend and participate in observation debrief discussions, mentor meetings, professional development opportunities, and a series of three-hour content seminars
- Complete a teacher portfolio at the end of the first year of teaching
- Pass the Louisiana Teacher Assistance and Assessment Program (LaTAAP)
- Fulfill the two-year teaching assignment
Teach For America Training
The summer before you begin teaching, Teach For America hosts a six-week training session known as summer institute. Greater New Orleans corps members attend this training alongside other regional corps members in Atlanta, Georgia.