Learn more about average salaries, cost of living, and expenses in the Greater Chicago-Northwest Indiana region.
Salaries range from $45,000 to $58,000 for new teachers in Chicago-Northwest Indiana. Corps members are independently hired by local schools or districts. They are responsible for obtaining certification and employment and are not paid by Teach For America.
Our partner schools offer health insurance and retirement benefits, though the specific plans will vary from school to school. Many of our partner schools will also offer additional benefits, but they vary depending on placement.
- First Month's Rent and Deposit: $2,000
- Professional Attire: $215
- School Supplies: $250
Rent & Utilities
- Single: $1,800
- Shared: $900
- Phone, Internet, Utilities: $185
- Transit Pass: $75
- Up-front Testing Costs: $150, but will be dependent on subject assignment.
- Certification and university partner coursework can cost up to $22,000 over two years so corps members should be prepared to invest that much in certification cost. However, tuition can be significantly lowered via the AmeriCorps award. From 2022-2023, corps members (eligible for the full AmeriCorps Award) paid between around $5,000 in tuition and fees each year towards their certification. This is subject to change every year.
Though Chicago has an extensive transit system, most corps members find that a car is preferred to get to their placement schools, as they are often not located near a transit stop. Northwest Indiana and North Chicago corps members will require a car.