Learn more about the process for becoming certified to teach in the Detroit region.
Becoming Certified to Teach
Detroit corps members receive a five-year non-renewable interim certificate. In order to qualify for the interim certificate, all corps members are required to complete the following requirements after being accepted to the corps.
- Pass the Michigan Test for Teacher Certification (MTTC) Subject Area Exam prior to Institute
- Provide three copies of their degree-conferred transcript from an accredited college or university
- Submit proof of First Aid & Child/Adult CPR certification from list of approved vendors
- Pay a $160 fee to the Michigan Department of Education for certification
- Pay for a criminal background check via certified profile to the University of Michigan
If you are not already certified, you must complete in a two-year certification program through the University of Michigan. Corps members are granted s standard teaching certificate after they successfully complete a third year of teaching while continuing to participate in the University of Michigan certification program.
If you have already completed a four-year college degree leading to teacher certification in the state of Michigan, you are not required to participate in the certification program.
If you completed a four-year college degree leading to licensure in a different state, and you are able to transfer your certification to the state of Michigan, then you are not required to participate in the certification program.
Master's Degree Option
Teach For America Detroit partners with the University of Michigan to provide corps members teaching K-12 the opportunity to obtain a master’s degree.
Our Early Childhood Education teachers have the opportunity to work towards a master’s degree with Walden University.
Many corps members complete the optional master’s program in two years. The master’s cohort typically begins classes in the winter semester of your first year of teaching, but can be joined after this point as well. This program is ideal for those interested in bettering their craft as teachers and to prepare themselves for future work in the education sector.