Learn more about the process for becoming certified to teach in the Twin Cities region.
Our corps members earn their certification and master's through St. Mary's University - Twin Cities.
Becoming Certified to Teach
- Up-front Testing costs: $200
- Up-front certification costs: $200
- Ongoing certification costs: $18,000
You may be able to offset ongoing certification costs with an AmeriCorps education award.
Master's Degree Option
Each TFA Twin Cities corps member must enroll in an approved MN Teacher Licensure Program. You will work in partnership with the TFA Twin Cities staff to determine which pathway is the best fit. If you already hold a teaching license or have already completed an MN approved teacher preparation program, you do not need to enroll in an additional licensure program.
Teach MN: Incoming corps members can earn an Elementary License or a Special Education License (K-12). Corps members are eligible to apply and earn their Masters degree through John Hopkins University.
- Elementary Track: 1 year
- Special Education Track: 2 years
- Overall Cost for Elementary License: $7,000
- Overall Cost for Special Education License: $8,000
- We do not have a formal partnership with a specific Higher Education or University partner but have informal relationships and support corps members in securing enrollment and pursuing licensure via an approved teacher prep program at a MN based college or University.
- Eligibility for this pathway is based on undergraduate coursework (there are multiple content prerequisites for secondary content licensure programs).
- Time and length varies based on university, content area and program prerequisites
Length: 2-5 years
Overall Cost: $15,000 - $20,000
Learning Disabilities Association of Minnesota
Incoming corps members can earn a Special Education License (K-12) through LDA Minnesota. This pathway does not have a Master’s option.
Length of Program: 2 years
Overall Cost: $16,000
The summer before you begin teaching, Teach For America hosts a five-week training session in Tulsa, Oklahoma.
Costs to expect at our training are travel, professional attire, and school supplies.
Once you begin teaching, our coaches—we call them Managers of Teacher Leadership Development—will support you during your time in the corps.