Learn more about average salaries, cost of living, and expenses in the South Dakota region.
Salaries range from $38,000 to $50,000 for new teachers. Corps members are independently hired by local schools or districts. They are responsible for obtaining certification and employment and are not paid by TFA.
Here are a set of estimates, assuming a $38,000 salary and average tax and health insurance costs for a single person.
- Monthly Pre-Tax Salary: $2,923
- Taxes: $200
- Health Insurance: $150
- Monthly Take Home Pay: $2,573
As full-time employees of their school districts, corps members will receive a full salary and benefits. Benefits include health, vision, and dental insurance. Some districts may offer employee assistance plans, life insurance, and retirement benefits.
Moving costs vary depending on how far you are moving from, how much stuff you are bringing, and if you will be pulling a U-Haul, paying a moving company, or shipping your belongings.
Rent & Utilities
- Shared rent: $100-$200 per month
- Single rent: $200-$400 per month
- Shared utilities: $100-200 per month
- Single utilities: $200+ per month
- Food: $400
- Gas: $100 - $500, depending how close to live to your school and how many trips you take to surrounding areas
It is necessary to have a car in South Dakota.