Learn more about average salaries, cost of living, and expenses in the Rio Grande Valley region.
Salaries range from $45,000-49,500 for new teachers in the Rio Grande Valley. Corps members are independently hired by local schools or districts. They are responsible for obtaining certification and employment and are not paid by Teach For America.
- Monthly Pre-Tax Salary: ~$3,900
- Taxes: $600
- Health Insurance: $300
- Monthly Take Home Pay: $3,000 (not inclusive of monthly certification costs)
The following benefits are typically offered to corps members:
- Health benefits
- Medical, dental, and vision care
- Referral-free access to doctors
- Routine preventative care
- Flexible spending accounts
- Employee assistance and wellness programs
- Vaccinations (e.g., flu shots)
- Life insurance
- Retirement benefits
- Average Deposit and First Month Rent: $1,100 (shared housing)
- Travel to Summer Training: $450
- Professional Attire and School Supplies: $500
Rent & Utilities
- $850 Single
- $600 Shared
Food cost vary but grocery prices are on average less expensive than most regions of the country
Transportation: cars are necessary for travel; cost depend on the size of your car payment
Health insurance: $300
Utilities: will vary from ~$150-200 for water and electricity depending on whether shared. Phone and cable costs will not differ from other parts of the country and are not factored in this estimate.
Gas/Insurance: gas prices significantly below the national average and will depend on how far you choose to live from your school. Insurance rates will vary by provider but are slightly above the national average.
Teach For America provides different summer Transitional Financial Support packages to support the start-up costs when beginning Teach For America. Teacher salaries are sufficient to support a multitude of housing options and personal needs in our region.
A car is required to get around in the Rio Grande Valley. Some of the larger communities do have local bus systems—these can be convenient if you live close to a bus route but likely will not prove sufficient to commute to your school.