Learn more about average salaries, cost of living, and expenses in Nashville and Chattanooga. The details shared on this page reflect the landscape of both cities and should be used as a frame of reference as the cost of living varies annually.
Average starting salary is $43,000 for new teachers in Nashville and Chattanooga. Corps members are independently hired by local schools or districts. They are responsible for obtaining certification and employment and are not paid by Teach For America.
- Health benefits
- Medical, dental, vision, and hearing care
- Employee Clinics
- Routine preventative care
- Flexible spending accounts
- Employee assistance programs
- Family-planning services
- Life and Accidental Death and Disbursement Insurance
- Retirement benefits
- Average Deposit $750
- Average Moving costs (local) $1500
Rent & Utilities
- $1277 Single
- $750 Shared
- Food: $150-$200 per month per person
- Health insurance: $321 per month (average)
- Utilities: $127.68 per month (average)
- Gas: $2 per gallon (average)
- Insurance: $246 a month (average)
- In Tennessee, you are required to carry liability insurance to cover injuries or damages you may cause to someone after a car accident.
Most corps members find that a car is required to get around.