In 2009, the Oklahoma State Legislature passed a law enabling Teach For America to become a certifying agent in the state. As a result, our Teach For America Greater Tulsa region provides a low-cost certification program that is differentiated for the needs of our corps.
Becoming Certified to Teach
Before we can place any corps member into a classroom, they must obtain an Oklahoma teaching license. Teach For America Greater Tulsa offers a low-cost certification program. To ensure our corps members are highly qualified, as required by Oklahoma state law, our corps members must complete the following steps:
- Take and pass at least two subject area exams before June 1
- Provide official degree-conferred transcripts for all bachelor's and master's degrees
- Pass a background check through the State Department of Education fingerprinting process
- Complete Teach For America ongoing programming
Breakdown of Certification Costs
- $120-$150 per subject area exam (two exams required)
- ~$59 for background check
- approximately $50 for degree-conferred transcript (varies by university)
Greater Tulsa partners with several universities to offer affordable programs available to our corps and alumni. However, a master's degree is not required to attain a teaching license.
Teach For America Training
This summer, Teach For America will host a pre-service experience for the incoming 2023 Greater Tulsa corps members. Our key dates will be shared in the fall as plans are finalized and corps members will receive more details at a later date.