In 2009, the Oklahoma State Legislature passed a law enabling Teach For America to become a certifying agent in the state. As a result, our Teach For America Greater Tulsa region provides a low-cost certification program that is differentiated for the needs of our corps.
Becoming Certified to Teach
Before we can place any corps member into a classroom, they must obtain an Oklahoma teaching license. Teach For America Greater Tulsa offers a low-cost certification program. To ensure our corps members are highly qualified, as required by Oklahoma state law, our corps members must complete the following steps:
- Take and pass at least two subject area exams before June 1
- Provide official degree-conferred transcripts for all bachelor's and master's degrees
- Pass a background check through the State Department of Education fingerprinting process
- Complete Teach For America ongoing programming
Breakdown of Certification Costs
- $120-$150 per subject area exam (two exams required)
- ~$59 for background check
- approximately $50 for degree-conferred transcript (varies by university)
Greater Tulsa partners with several universities to offer affordable programs available to our corps and alumni. However, a master's degree is not required to attain a teaching license.
Teach For America Training
This summer, Teach For America will host a virtual pre-service experience for the incoming 2021 Greater Tulsa corps members. All components of summer training will be a mix of asynchronous and synchronous learning opportunities. Our key dates are outlined for your reference below. Please note: all corps members will participate in regional learning following practicum. Corps members will receive more details at a later date.
Onboarding: May 3, 2021 - June 1, 2021
Kick-Off: June 2, 2021 – June 4, 2021
Centralized Learning Series: June 7, 2021 – June 17, 2021
CM Arrival to Tulsa: The week of June 21, 2021
Practicum: June 28, 2021 - July 16, 2021