Throughout Charlotte and the Piedmont Triad, you'll find everything from beautiful greenways to amazing restaurants to fantastic arts and music opportunities. Below are some more details to help you decide if working in Charlotte-Piedmont Triad is a good fit for you.
North Carolina Department of Public Education requires all Teach For America corps members to qualify for an initial Lateral Entry license prior to entering the classroom. Upon hire with Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools or Guilford County Schools, corps members are required to pay a processing fee of $100 in order to apply for a North Carolina Lateral Entry License, which is valid for three years.
To qualify for an initial lateral entry licensure, all candidates must:
- Earn a bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university
- Hold a minimum 2.7 undergraduate GPA
- If assigned to teach elementary, you must pass the Foundations of Reading exam and the General Curriculum exam, which are both administered through Pearson Education, Inc.
- If assigned to teach a core content area (English Language Arts, Math, Science, Social Studies) or a foreign language, you must pass the PRAXIS II subject area exam for your content area and the Principles of Learning and Teaching (7-12) exam, which are administered by Educational Testing Service
LGBTQ+ Legal Protections
Learn more about LGBTQ employment protections across Charlotte-Piedmont Triad cities through the Human Rights Campaign's Equality Index. Check out Charlotte Prism to connect with our work on a local level.
Subject & Grade Placements
We do our best to match our corps members with their preferred subject area. However, subject assignment is based on a variety of internal and external factors. The primary factor of subject assignment is based on the needs of Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools and Guilford County Schools.That said, we typically place corps members in the following subject areas:
- English: Grades 6 -12
- Math:Grades 6 -12
- Science: Grades 6 -12
- Social Studies: Grades 6 -12
- Spanish: Grades 6 -12