Learn more about the process for becoming certified to teach in the California Capital Valley region.
All Teach For America California Capital Valley corps members will be required to complete the following:
- Take the CSET and CBEST
- Provide degree-conferred transcripts
- Obtain fingerprints and a Certificate of Clearance.
Additional documentation may be required by our district and/or school partners, including a TB test, background checks, or proof of vaccination.
- Information regarding how to sign up for exams and by when to take them is distributed shortly after notification of acceptance to TFA.
- Corps members must pass all required testing prior to induction, which is typically the first week of June.
- Some corps members may be required to take a US Constitution Exam and some may be required to take the NES-APK.
Master's Degree Option
We partner with two credentialing institutions that provide coursework to obtain a preliminary teaching credential after the first year. A master’s degree may also be obtained with additional coursework at these institutions.
- CSET: $207-297
- CBEST: $102
- US Constitution Exam: $60
- Costs are dependent on the specific program in which a corps member is enrolled. Costs range from $7,000 to $13,000.
- Master’s Degree
- Costs range from $11,000 to $15,000.
Corps members are eligible to enroll in AmeriCorps, which allows corps members to apply an education award towards their certification costs.