Learn more about average salaries, cost of living, and expenses in the Appalachia region.
Salaries for a first-year teacher without a master's degree in their content area range from $32,000-36,000. Corps members are independently hired by local districts. They are responsible for obtaining certification and employment and are not paid by Teach For America.
- Monthly pre-tax salary: $2900
- Taxes: $375
- Health insurance: $50
- Monthly take home pay: $2475
Most districts offer medical, dental, and vision insurance, flexible spending accounts, and retirement benefits.
Deposits are generally one month's rent
Rent & Utilities
- Single: $475
- Shared: $325
- Phone, Internet, Utilities: $100-175
- Gas costs vary depending on how close to your school you choose to live
It can be daunting to find housing in a new place, but you'll find corps members, alumni, staff, community members, and even your new administrators all pitch in to help ensure everyone finds a place that works for them.
- A vehicle is required here, but Kentucky's low cost of living means a first or second-year teacher's salary can go much further here than in other parts of the country.