Teach For America Appalachia is the certifying agent for corps members in Kentucky. Corps members receive a temporary, provisional certificate during their two-year commitment and are eligible to earn a full credential during their third year in the classroom.
Becoming Certified to Teach
In order to receive the provisional certificate, a corps member must:
- Possess a bachelor’s degree
- Pass the necessary Praxis content knowledge tests
- Receive a job offer
- Remain in good standing with Teach For America throughout the duration of their two-year commitment.
If you join our corps with an out-of-state teaching certificate already earned, you will need to pay $85 to transfer your license. There is no certification charge if you already possess a Kentucky teaching license.
Master's Degree Option
Corps members may choose to work toward a master’s degree while in Appalachia, but the region has no formal partnerships with universities.
The summer before you begin teaching, you are required to participate in several weeks of training both virtually and in Kentucky for the months of both June and July.
- Praxis test: $250 (more if you take tests in additional content areas)
- Professional attire, if not currently owned: $250
- Travel to the region: $50-350 (depending on starting point)