Check out these 19 things that educators must have.
March 17, 2015
By now, most first-year teachers know that school budgets vary widely for classroom materials. Some schools provide basic supplies, but those materials are likely dwindling during this last stretch of the school year. TeacherPop recommends keeping a few essential things on hand to make your life easier as we march toward summer break. Check out these 19 materials that every teacher needs in the classroom.
This post has been adapted from a longer article called 101 Tips for a First Year Teacher by Emily and Maggie Pettit.
1. Fun colored markers and sharpies
3. An egg timer or digital clock
4. Set of self-inking teacher stamps (so you don’t have to mess with an ink pad every time you check homework).
5. Storage bins, baskets, and magazine files to keep students’ papers and work organized.
6. Velcro or magnetic strips
8. Goo Gone (removes ANYTHING: pen marks on the table, dried glue, etc.)
9. Dry erase markers
10. Extra pair of scissors
11. Stapler remover
12. Extra pencils and construction paper
13. Glue sticks
14. Cute stationery or thank you cards to write notes to parents.
15. Clipboards to use when students need to be on the floor or moving around doing work.
16. Lap whiteboards for students to use (if you don’t have whiteboards, put a white piece of paper in a plastic page protector).
17. Books, books, and more books…Check out this post on how to score free books for your students.
18. Stickers! They make great rewards.
19. Snacks and bottled water (for you!) What essential items do you keep stocked in the classroom?
We're a diverse network of leaders committed to expanding opportunity for all children.
Sign up for our emails to learn how you can get involved.
Content is loading...