We’re passionate about our mission, our people, and developing leaders, and it shows in our workplace culture.
Life on Staff at Teach For America
We’re proud to have been recognized as an excellent place to work by organizations including Great Place To Work, Fortune, and Working Mother, and we continue to grow and evolve at every opportunity, thanks to our diverse TFA staff community. After all, no matter what brings us to TFA, it’s the chance to do important work alongside colleagues who are passionate and driven that keep us here day after day, year after year.
Our Workplace Culture
We are centered by our unwavering commitment to our core values, which guide and ground everything we do as an organization. Part of this commitment includes creating diverse, equitable, and inclusive workplace culture that empowers staff members to grow, thrive, and do impactful work.
Teach For America offers generous Paid Time Off (PTO), sick time, family and medical leave, comprehensive medical, vision, dental, and prescription drug coverage, and employer matching on our 403 (b) retirement plan. These benefits are offered to regular full-time or part-time (20+ hrs per week) staff members at Teach For America.
“I am impressed with the health insurance options TFA offers. I was able to find an affordable plan that meets my health needs.”A recent job applicant
We provide competitive compensation that takes into account your prior experience and responsibilities. Yearly increases are based on your contribution to the organization, the impact and scale of your role, and market factors.
We offer comprehensive medical, vision, dental, and prescription drug coverage.
Eligible staff members may set aside pretax dollars in a healthcare flexible spending account and/or a dependent care flexible spending account each year.
- Paid Time Off (PTO): Staff have access to flexible PTO and can take time as they need it, when they need it without waiting to earn or accrue a set number of PTO hours.
- Holidays: 15 days per fiscal year, including an extended break between Christmas Day and New Year's Day.
- Sick Time: 10 days per fiscal year.
- Disability Leave: Staff members are offered up to 12 weeks of paid medical disability leave paid at 100 percent after three months of employment. Staff members may be eligible for long-term disability coverage after 90 days of disability; 60 percent of salary is paid up to a monthly maximum of $12,500.
- 14 weeks of paid parental leave for a primary caregiver for the birth or adoption of a child(ren).
- 14 weeks of paid parental leave for a secondary caregiver for the birth or adoption of a child(ren).
- Four weeks of paid family leave to care for an immediate family member with a serious health condition.
- Backup dependent care: Services include center-based backup child care, in-home backup care for well and mildly ill children, and in-home backup adult/elder care.
- Eligible staff members may participate in Teach For America’s 403(b) plan from their first day of employment.
- After meeting the 12-month eligibility requirement, Teach For America will match 100 percent of your eligible contributions up to 5 percent of your gross earned salary in each fiscal year.
- Eligible staff members are offered $50,000 of basic life/accident insurance at no charge.
- Optional life insurance offered to eligible staff members at additional charge.
Staff can receive free financial advice on budgeting, goal setting, debt review, and retirement analysis from a dedicated Certified Financial Planner and managing director at Wells Fargo Advisors.
Staying Connected to the Classroom
Every staff member at TFA plays a role in expanding opportunity for children. It’s important for staff members to continue to feel connected to our mission through the work they do, even if they aren’t working directly in the classrooms and communities we serve. We foster that connectivity through:
Staff Resource Groups
Many of our staff are active participants in at least one of our 30+ resource groups. These staff-led groups aim to foster a deep sense of community among people of shared interests and backgrounds and are an important part of our life at TFA.
Teams of staff members regularly organize and lead visits to our corps members’ classrooms, allowing staff to interact with kids, help with lessons, and participate in activities.
Additionally, hundreds of staff members take trips to our summer training institutes to watch our newest members begin their corps experience.
Interviews with Corps Members
Staff members get the opportunity to participate in the process of interviewing corps applicants. It’s a fun and meaningful way to interact with those who share our passion for expanding educational opportunities for kids.
Recognition As an Exceptional Place to Work
We’re proud to be acknowledged as an exceptional place to work for our inclusive culture, flexible work environment, and priority towards career development. We also thank our incredible staff members who make this honor possible.