Over 300 alumni are leading across Greater Tulsa as teachers, school & district leaders, non-profit professionals, entrepreneurs, civic organizers, and more. Our team’s focus with our alumni community is to accelerate alumni impact by ensuring alumni are working together to harness the collective power of our network, and have access to strategic opportunities to grow their impact.
Greater Tulsa alumni receive career coaching as second year corps members, access to professional development opportunities, special networking experiences, and social events to deepen relationships, connections, and community. Our evolving work with alumni teachers is leading us to focus on supporting teachers through an Educator Support Group with the Critical Therapy Center and partnering with the Teaching and Leading Initiative of Oklahoma to support ongoing educator instructional development. We are also meeting with alumni school leaders to better understand their development needs, offering an alumni-driven professional development fund, and utilizing 1:1 coaching as a means to further alumni impact.
“What keeps me in Greater Tulsa is the potential of what Tulsa can be. There’s a lot of great people doing a lot of great work, working toward this goal of being a world-class city for all of its citizens. And, on top of that, there’s also a lot of opportunities to do the kind of work I want to do quicker than I could in a city that’s bigger.”
Our alumni have been recognized as key leaders throughout the city. Check out the sections below to learn more about a few of our outstanding alumni leaders:
School & District Leaders
- Three of the past five Tulsa Public Schools Teacher of the Year winners are TFA Greater Tulsa alumni: 2020 Teacher of the Year - Laura Grisham (Greater Tulsa ‘17), 2019 Teacher of the Year - Nicole Powell (Greater Tulsa ‘12), & 2016 Teacher of the Year - Rob Kaiser (Greater Tulsa ‘13)
- We have over 100 alumni teachers in 60 schools, across 17 districts and 8 cities, impacting over 5,000 students
- More than 66 alumni serve as school leaders & district leaders, including principals, deans, assistant principals, instructional coaches, and district employees
- Laura Bellis (Greater Tulsa ‘11), Take Control Initiative, Executive Director
- Sophia Pappas (New Jersey ‘03), Birth Through Eight Strategy, Managing Director
- Carlisha Williams Bradley (Greater Tulsa ‘11), Impact Tulsa, Executive Director
- Andrew Spector & Jake Lerner (Greater Tulsa ‘15) Tulsa Changemakers, Co-Founders
- Onikah Asamoa-Caesar (Greater Tulsa ‘13), Fulton Street Books
- Venita Cooper (Mississippi Delta ‘09), Silhouette Sneakers
- Ross Faith (Las Vegas Valley ‘04), Tulsa Urban Debate League
- Cynthia Jasso (Greater Tulsa ‘14) partnered with local nonprofits, churches, community leaders and donors to co-found the Tulsa Immigrant Relief Fund, which provides direct relief to Tulsa’s immigrant workers and families impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic
- Courtney Jordan (Houston ‘08), Cherokee Nation, Assistant Attorney General
- Nate Morris (Greater Tulsa ‘12), Manager, Community Organizing, Met Cares Foundation
Alumni-Led groups in Greater Tulsa
- The Greater Tulsa Alumni Board is a group of alumni leaders, working to build community, deepen connection, and support personal and professional growth among alumni to catalyze the pursuit of educational equity in Tulsa. The Alumni Board creates programming, experiences, and opportunities to fuel Alumni impact in Greater Tulsa.
- The Collective is an identity based resource group for BIPOC alumni. The Collective hosts a variety of social, support, and development opportunities.
- Prism is an identity based resource group for LGBTQ+ alumni & aspiring allies. Prism also hosts a variety of social, support, and development events.
Connect with Us
- Follow the TFA Greater Tulsa Alumni Board on Facebook
- If you’re an alum, join the TFA Alumni in the Greater Tulsa Area Facebook page or connect with alumni from across the TFA network on TFA Connect BETA, Teach For America’s career and connections site. Find opportunities, build local and national relationships, and meet future employers and colleagues.
- Send the Greater Tulsa alumni team an email: Parisa Pilehvar (firstname.lastname@example.org)