A Diverse Group of Leaders
We look for individuals who show leadership potential and have other traits that are found in our most successful teachers.
Over the past 22 years, we’ve learned that there is no specific personality profile or background that predicts success in the classroom. Some corps members were educators prior to joining, but many do not have any prior experience in the education field. Your potential as a corps member can shine through whether you’ve led your student government, achieved academic honors, managed a complex project at work, served our country in the armed forces, or rallied support for a cause that’s important to you. And those are just a few of the countless experiences our most successful corps members bring to the table.
A Student-Driven Selection Approach
Our approach to selecting corps members is based on our commitment to student success. Corps members are charged with very high-stakes work: helping their students achieve the academic success that will expand their life opportunities. We continuously study our teachers to identify the characteristics of those whose students have made the most progress. We’ve discovered that their most distinguishing characteristics are:
- A deep belief in the potential of all kids and a commitment to do whatever it takes to expand opportunities for students
- Demonstrated leadership ability and superior interpersonal skills to motivate others
- Strong achievement in academic, professional, extracurricular, and/or volunteer settings
- Perseverance in the face of challenges, ability to adapt to changing environments, and a strong desire to do whatever it takes to improve and develop
- Excellent critical thinking skills, including the ability to accurately link cause and effect and to generate relevant solutions to problems
- Superior organizational ability, including planning well and managing responsibilities effectively
- Respect for individuals' diverse experiences and the ability to work effectively with people from a variety of backgrounds
We look for these characteristics in applicants throughout our admissions process and admit those individuals who show the most potential to succeed in high-need classrooms. If the corps is not the right fit for you, there are many other ways that you can join the movement to expand opportunities for kids. Learn more about other ways that you can get involved.
Pass the Chalk
Check out Teach For America's blog to see stories about teaching, communities, and education in America.
Stay in Touch
The application to join our corps of teachers is closed and will re-open in August. Sign up now to stay updated with Teach For America news and information.
Stay informed about the latest news on Teach For America and the state of education in the country.
Read about the prerequisites to apply.