Corps Member Compensation
As a corps member, you will be a full-time teacher and receive a full salary and the same comprehensive health benefits as other beginning teachers in your school district.
While we do our best to ensure that joining Teach For America is financially feasible for everyone, we also recognize that personal finances can vary widely from person to person. Use the following tools to learn more about the compensations and costs of being a Teach For America corps member.
- Each of our 46 Teach For America regions has its own unique set of circumstances with regard to cost-of-living and cost of ongoing certification. Income and expenses can also differ greatly from region to region. Use the regional cost calculator on each of our regional pages to get a financial snapshot of living and teaching in each region.
- Download our regional comparison spreadsheet to compare costs across our 46 regions.
Additional benefits, such as funding for relocation, testing and start-up costs, and help with student loans are available to help ease your transition and support your financial stability as a corps member.
Snapshot of Salary and Additional Benefits
- Salary ranging from $25,500 to $51,000
- Health Insurance
- Retirement Benefits
- AmeriCorps education award of up to $11,100*
- Loan forbearance and paid interest for two years
- Up to $6,000 of no-interest loans or grants for relocation and transition
*Teach For America is currently a member of AmeriCorps. Given the nature of the AmeriCorps competitive grant process and the dependence on Congressional funding cycles, we cannot guarantee these benefits for corps members serving during the 2013 - 2014 school year until receiving final confirmation in June 2013. Recent changes in national service laws may result in an adjustment to the education award for the 2013-2014 year.
Per regulations, the AmeriCorps education award and interest accrual payments are considered to be taxable income for the year in which they are used.
Practical Money Skills
Visit Practical Money Skills by Visa for resources on managing loans, budgeting, and planning finances.
Regional Cost Calculator
Regional Comparison Spreadsheet
Compare costs across our 46 regions.