Learn more about average salaries, cost of living, and expenses in the Jacksonville region.
Corps members are independently hired by our school partners. They are responsible for obtaining certification and employment and are not paid by Teach For America. The region may provide some assistance with obtaining certification.
Salary ranges from $42,000 - $48,000 for new teachers in Jacksonville.
All partner school employees have the opportunity to receive and enroll in comprehensive benefits plans. All corps members, upon hire, can enroll and receive access to comprehensive benefits. Basic coverage with co-pays for health care and prescriptions is generally provided. Employees also receive access to dental coverage, disability benefits, and retirement benefits. Different plans are offered to suit various needs, and you will receive detailed information about these plans during your district orientation and your first days of school.
Average benefits of schools include:
- Health benefits
- Medical, dental, and vision care
- Referral-free access to doctors
- Routine preventative care
- Flexible spending accounts
- Family-planning services
- Vaccinations (e.g., flu shots)
- Life insurance
- Retirement benefits
Corps members teaching in Jacksonville can apply for a state scholarship for attracting and retaining high academic achievers in the teaching profession.
- Book Travel to Summer Training: ~$350
- Professional Dress/Clothing: $0-$200
- Housing Costs: $2,500 (First Month’s, Last Month’s Rent, & Security Deposit, this may be less if living with a roommate)
- Supplemental Food: $300
- School District Fingerprints: $71
- Florida Dept of Ed Certification Fee: $75
- Moving Costs: $0-$800
- Furniture: $0-$500
- First Month Utilities: $175
- First Month Internet: $50
- Setting up your classroom: $50-$200
- Living Expenses Until First Paycheck* (groceries, gas etc.): $1,400
In addition to testing and certification, one of the most important pieces of your transition is planning for the financial transition of joining the corps. While Teach For America is not able to provide financial advice, as we are not financial advisors, we have pulled together resources and alumni tips that will assist you in planning for your transition.
Teach For America covers many of your major expenses during summer training (e.g. food, housing) for all corps members. We also offer a need-based program to help you with some of your transition expenses. Packages are offered based on a corps member’s demonstrated need and the cost of transitioning to your assigned region.
Rent and Utilities
- Media Rent Single is $850-1000. Rent in Jacksonville is 11% lower than the national average.
Most corps members find that it is absolutely necessary to have a car in Jacksonville and access your school site. You should have a car by the start of the school year.