Skip to main content

Learn more about the process for becoming certified to teach in the Jacksonville region.

Certification Requirements

Jacksonville corps members receive a three-year non-renewable temporary certificate. In order to qualify for the temporary certificate, all corps members are required to:

  • Pass a Florida Teacher Certification Examination (FTCE) Subject Area Exam prior to their first day of teaching
  • Pass the Florida Teacher Certification Examination (FTCE) Middle Grades Integrated Certification exam prior to their first day of teaching
  • Pass the Florida Teacher Certification Examination (FTCE) General Knowledge Test
  • Provide two copies of their degree-conferred transcript from an accredited college or university
  • Pay a $75 fee to the Florida Department of Education for each subject area certification applied for
  • If corps members choose to pursue full professional certification, they must enroll in an alternative certification program and pass the Professional Education Test (PEd) by the end of their third year. Duval County Public Schools offers a low-cost summer alternative certification program that some corps members have opted to participate in.

Teaching Credentials

What are the requirements for a temporary certificate?

  • Earn a bachelor's degree from an accredited institution
  • Satisfy specialization
  • Obtain employment
  • Submit fingerprints

What are the requirements for a five-year professional certificate?

In addition to the requirements listed above for a temporary certificate:

  • Demonstrate mastery of professional preparation and education competence. Professional preparation includes 15 semester hours of education coursework. Education Competence refers to the completion of the Teacher Induction Program.
  • Satisfy the following testing requirements: General Knowledge, Professional Education, and appropriate subject area examinations.
  • Complete Practical Experience in Teaching
  • Additional routes can be found on the Florida state certification page

Can I get an extension to my three-year temporary certificate?

An extension can only be granted if the following conditions are met:

  • Applicant must have experienced extreme, extraordinary circumstances beyond his or her control.
  • Applicant must have completed requirements for demonstration of mastery of general knowledge.
  • The superintendent must seek approval from the Commissioner of Education.

Where can I get information about the certification examinations?

You can come by and pick up a testing bulletin or you may call: (413) 256-2893 or visit the FLDOE website.

I have never taught before. I am interested in teaching. Do I have to take any examinations to become certified?

Maybe. Individuals who did not complete a degree in education and have not taken the specified course requirements for the area they wish to teach have the option to either pass the subject area test or complete courses they are deficient to quality for initial certification. Testing is the most cost effective route to acquire initial certification and is the route frequently chosen by those who are transferring from other fields.

What examinations are required for a professional certificate?

  • General Knowledge Examination
  • Professional Education Examination
  • Subject Area Examination

How long do I have to complete the examinations?

You have the validity of your temporary certificate to complete the professional education and subject area examinations. The General Knowledge Examination must be completed within your first year of employment.

Are there any subject area examinations that I cannot take to satisfy specialization requirements?

Yes, this testing option is only available to areas that only require bachelor's degrees. It is not available for areas that require a master's degree. Excluded areas include:

  • School Psychologist
  • Reading
  • Guidance and Counseling
  • Educational Leadership
  • Administration of Adult Education
  • Speech-Language Impaired
  • Local Director of Vocational Education

Is there any help available to prepare for the examinations?

Yes, you may order a study guide from the testing office (see numbers/site above) or you may download guides.

I lost my score report. Will you accept a copy? How can I get another score report?

The Department of Education only accepts official score reports. You may contact the testing office to request a duplicate score report. Fees apply.

Graduate School

Teach For America partners with the University of Florida to provide corps members and alumni the opportunity to obtain a master’s degree in educational leadership or curriculum and instruction. This university partnership is open to both current corps members and alumni. This is a cohort-based, hybrid program that combines online coursework and in-person instruction. This program is ideal for those wanting to better their craft as teachers and prepare themselves for future work in the education sector.

The program will start in the spring (January/February) semester and will take two to 2.5 years to complete, involving a total of 36 hours of coursework.

Teach For America Training 

The summer before you begin teaching, Teach For America hosts a six-week training session.