Nine Characteristics of Effective Teachers
By studying data about the corps members who have helped their students achieve the most, we’ve discovered nine characteristics that often lead to success in the classroom:
- A deep belief in the potential of all kids and a commitment to do whatever it takes to expand opportunities for students, often with a perspective informed by experience in low-income communities and an understanding of the systemic challenges of poverty and racism
- Demonstrated leadership ability in a variety of settings
- Strong achievement in academic, professional, extracurricular, and/or volunteer settings
- Perseverance in the face of challenges and an ability to adapt to changing environments
- Long-term commitment to reaching goals and a strong desire to improve and develop, both personally and professionally
- Excellent critical thinking skills, including the ability to accurately link cause and effect and to generate feasible and effective solutions to problems
- Excellent organizational ability, including planning well and managing responsibilities effectively
- Excellent interpersonal skills and a proven ability to motivate others
- Respect for individuals' diverse experiences and the ability to work effectively with people from a variety of backgrounds
Meet Our Teachers
The Value of Diversity
Former NFL player Ricardo Silva discusses being a role model as a black man in the classroom. Learn about the importance of diversity.
Kareli Lizárraga is a DACA recipient and teacher. Learn more about Teach For America and DACA.
Making a Career Change
A U.S. Marine and an engineer discuss why they changed careers to teach. Read about teaching as your next job.