Be in the know! Read articles written by our admissions team on the stages of the application process.
Tips for Applying
The Online Application
- Your Application
- Short-Answer Questions
Your online application is your first opportunity to tell us about your accomplishments and experiences and talk about your interest in Teach For America.
Before applying, you're encouraged to learn about Teach For America's mission and what it's like to lead a classroom. You can also check out our Top Stories, which features articles from corps members, alumni, students, and others in the Teach For America community.
To learn more about the admissions process, read insider tips written by the admissions team.
On your resume, you should highlight your academic and professional achievements and leadership experience.
Academic achievement includes:
- Your cumulative GPA
- Participation in honors programs
- Inclusion in dean’s lists
- Notable awards
Leadership can be displayed through a variety of experiences including:
- Extracurricular activities
- Work experience
- Managing teams
Examples of Effective Resumes:
On the application, you'll be asked to complete short-answer questions about why you want to join Teach For America and other topics. Make sure you answer the questions thoroughly. Review our writing proficiency standards and be sure to proofread accordingly. We purposefully evaluate your writing ability because corps members in every subject must teach literacy and pass district certification exams in reading and writing skills.
For exemplary short-answer responses, make sure you:
- Clearly answer application questions, make a profound point, stay on topic
- Have a logical and insightful progression of ideas throughout
- Clearly explain key ideas and support them with well-chosen examples or details
- Vary sentence structure effectively
- Choose words carefully and correctly
- Proofread for errors in word usage, grammar, and mechanics
The Pre-Interview Activity
Applicants invited to an interview will first need to complete the pre-interview activity.
Pre-Interview Activity Tips
- The pre-interview activity consists of six short-answer questions. You'll need to complete the activity before signing up for an interview.
- There is no suggested length for your responses; use your best judgment and answer each question fully.
- Be sure to save your work as you answer each question.
- Once you submit your activity you will not be able to make edits again—be sure and check your work.
The interview is a distinctive part of the Teach For America application process. The interview consists of three major components, all of which take place over an entire day (9:00 AM - 5:00 PM). Our interviews are only held on weekdays and are conducted at hundreds of locations across the country.
Applicants living abroad are typically invited to participate in virtual interviews. Virtual interviews are also held on weekdays, but may begin later in the day.
It’s common to be nervous before an interview, but many applicants come away from the interview day having had a great experience.