The Foundation for Racial Equity in Education (FREE) Fellowship for Young Leaders of Color provides a cohort of professionals of color with consistent access to specialized professional development, executive coaching, skill building, and community.
We're excited to announce our 2020-21 cohort of F.R.E.E. fellows!
A growing body of research demonstrates that educators of color add unique value to the academic and socio-emotional outcomes of students and impact change in the education system more broadly. While there has been innovation in the education ecosystem specific to the recruitment and retention of teachers of color, those initiatives rarely move the conversation beyond representation, a component that is necessary and wholly insufficient.
The Foundation for Racial Equity in Education (FREE) Fellowship for Young Leaders of Color is an opportunity unique to Indianapolis wherein professionals of color receive consistent access to specialized professional development, executive coaching, skill building, and community. In partnership with TFA Indianapolis and the Indianapolis Collective, the 2020-2021 FREE Fellows will be set up to have increased impact on students and families in our city, efficacy and excellence in their roles, and access to expanded leadership opportunities in the near- and long-term.
Launching in August, the FREE Fellowship offers:
- $5,000 relocation stipend for TFA alumni living outside of the Indianapolis region
- Specialized leadership development centered in racial equity
- Personalized coaching and mentorship with seasoned Indy leaders of color
- Long-term career support from TFA Indy staff
- ...and many more local and national opportunities
The fellowship takes place from August 2020 through April 2021 and includes the following:
- 3.5 Saturdays (August, January, and April)
- Cohort/Collective meetings on the 2nd Wednesday from 5:30-8:pm (September, November, and February)
- One hour 1:1 executive coaching meetings (October, December, and March)
- Approximately 60 hours (sessions and pre-work) over the course of 9 months
Detailed Timeline (2020-21):
- August: Kick Off Retreat (Sat, August 8-9)
- September: Cohort/Collective meeting (Wed, September 9, 5:30-9pm)
- October: 1:1 meetings
- November: Cohort/Collective meeting (Wed, October 11, 5:30-8pm)
- December: 1:1 meetings
- January: Mid-Year Retreat (Sat, January 11)
- February: Cohort/Collective meeting (Wed, February 10, 5:30-8pm)
- March: 1:1 meetings
- April: Closing retreat (Sat, April 17)
Dates and times may be subject to change.
Contact our TFA Indy Staff
Managing Director, Corps Member Development
JuDonne leads our FREE Fellowship, overseeing professional development, programming, and community partnerships. Contact JuDonne