Teach For America's Policy Positions
New York, February 10, 2017—We will continue to fiercely advocate and defend policies that are core to our mission and that increase opportunity for our students, including but not limited to:
- Protection of Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals and passage of the DREAM Act and pathways to citizenship for individuals brought to our country as children.
- Preservation of high expectations and swift interventions for schools under the Every Student Succeeds Act
- Reauthorization of a Higher Education Act that expands access for qualified low-income Americans to demonstrably high-value colleges
- SAFE classrooms for LGBTQ youth and teachers
- Safe classrooms for students and teachers with disabilities
- Safe classrooms for Muslim students and teachers
- Culturally responsive teaching and training and supporting our teachers in these practices
- School accountability and transparency regardless of public school governance model
- Using evidence and data to drive instruction and teacher improvement and development over time
- Preservation and expansion of the unique and critical bipartisan commitment to national service
- Halting the school-to-prison pipeline, including training teachers on equitable classroom management and restorative school and community practices
About Teach For America
Teach For America works in partnership with communities to expand educational opportunity for children facing the challenges of poverty. Founded in 1990, Teach For America recruits and develops a diverse corps of outstanding college graduates and professionals to make an initial two-year commitment to teach in high-need schools and become lifelong leaders in the effort to end educational inequity. Some 6,900 corps members are teaching today in 53 urban and rural regions across the country. They join a Teach For America community that is 53,000 strong, working across every sector to ensure that all children have access to an excellent education. Teach For America is a proud member of the AmeriCorps national service network. For more information, visit www.teachforamerica.org and follow us on Facebook and Twitter.