Our corps members participate in Region One's Project PaCE Alternative Certification Program, through which they have the opportunity to attain full teacher certification in one year. If any corps members have already been certified in another state, we will work together to determine the best method of becoming certified in Texas.
The Project PaCE certification process involves the following components:
- A year-long literacy seminar that is designed to enhance literacy instruction in all grade levels and content areas
- Professional development seminars that occur throughout the year
- Observations from Project PaCE supervisors
- A school-based mentor program
- A personal case study to reflect on differentiation strategies
Corps members must also pass the following exams in order to be certified:
- The state TExES exam in their content area (taken during the Teach For America summer training institute)
- Pedagogy and Professional Responsibilities exam (taken during their first year of teaching)
Additionally, corps members have the opportunity to begin a master's program through the University of Texas Pan-American, the University of Texas Brownsville, or an online program following their completion of alternative certification.